Sunday, March 18, 2012

Happy 45th Birthday Pirates of the Caribbean!

Today, March 18, we celebrate the 45th Birthday of my all-time favorite ride in Disneyland, Pirates of the Caribbean!



Ye Seen The Cursed Treasure



This picture was taken from the back of the boat on Pirates, hence the different angle than usual!  One of my favorite things to do is try to get pictures in Pirates, which is not an easy task.  I'd like to point out, first and foremost, that I NEVER take flash pictures inside Pirates or any other dark ride for that matter.  It bugs me when others do it, it's against the rules, and it can really ruin the experience for others.  (ok I promise my sentence-long flash picture rant is over!)


I have been a big fan of Pirates of the Caribbean since I was a little girl!  At 9 months old Pirates was my first ride ever that had a drop on it!  My Mom sat holding very tightly onto me in the front row and took me for a spin on what would become my favorite ride!  I honestly cannot count how many times I have been on Pirates since then, but each and every time I enjoy it as if it were my first ride.  Somehow the simple joy of floating through another world has always brought a smile to my face and I'm often guilty of singing along with "Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pirate's Life for Me!" when I go on the ride!  I'm sure many of you can agree with me that Pirates is one of those Disneyland classics that cannot be beaten!


The previous picture and the next are of combination of lots of tries to find the correct camera settings and sheer luck.  Since you're floating and moving plus don't have a tripod to steady your shot, motion blur is a huge worry.  I've taken lots of photos of this ride and have seemed to perfect the settings on my camera for both aperture and shutter speed (plus others) so that I get the right color, lighting, and avoid blur as much as possible.



The Skeleton Captain



The next photo I have to post is one of the plaque in the queue for Pirates!  It's one of those little Disneyland details that just makes the place that much more magical!  Sadly people seem to breeze by this beautiful plaque these days inching always closer to seeing Jack Sparrow, but this is one of those details that should not be passed up!  This plaque was installed in Pirates of the Caribbean "the original" for the 30th Anniversary of the attraction opening (15 years ago, today).  It features the names of the imagineers that made the attraction so wonderful as well as the memorable line: "Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pirate's Life for Me!"



Disneyland's Pirates of the Caribbean



Probably the LUCKIEST picture I have ever taken on Pirates of the Caribbean occurred back in 2009.  I came up with the crazy idea that, to get a picture of the skeleton at the ship's wheel, I could "use" the lightning as a type of "flash" to light it up for a picture!  Somehow this crazy idea was a good one and actually worked!!  I left the shutter open for a long time basically waiting for the lightning to flash and eventually it did.  Usually the lightning flashes multiple times which would have been bad because that would cause my picture to have multiple exposures in it and make it blurry.  My luck came to me this time because the lightning only flashed once!  So in the end it turned out a very nice picture of the skeleton pirate at the wheel with lighting from the left!  I hope you enjoy this photo as I very much do!



Skeleton Pirate



I thought I'd end this little "Happy Birthday" Pirates tribute with a couple simple photos of signs at the ride!  They're not the most elaborate or fancy photos ever, but when I see these signs in person I always get excited knowing it's almost time to go on my favorite ride!  So, a big HAPPY BIRTHDAY Pirates of the Caribbean!!  You're looking pretty good for 45 years young!



Pirates of the Caribbean




Pirates of the Caribbean

No comments:

Post a Comment